Halloween will be here before you know it but what’s Halloween without the properly carved pumpkins? If you’re not sure what tool to use and how to carve your pumpkin to get the drabbest design — or even how to pick out the perfect pumpkin– this article will be your guide. This article will also help you with tips & decorating ideas for Halloween. So get your tools out and get ready for some action.
Over the years, people have carved a lot of pumpkins. To create your very own personalized pumpkin this Halloween, first look for the perfect pumpkin, then get some bright ideas for your own design, and finally get your tools and start carving.
Picking the pumpkin
First you want to pick a fresh pumpkin and how to know if it is fresh by looking at the stem. Look for a green stem, the greener the stem the fresher the pumpkin. Also make sure the stem is tight to the pumpkin and the bottom is not mushy because if the stem is loose in any way and the bottom is mushy when you squeeze it, it not fresh. Make sure there are no bruises on the stem, and the pumpkin has a flat bottom so it stands steady and won’t’ fall over and roll.
If you like designing a face on the pumpkin, choose a tall one. It best to choose a tall pumpkin because the more towering the pumpkin is, it gets a little wider and that will make it easier as well as better to shape a face.
Choosing the tools, tips & Decorating Ideas
It’s time to look beyond the knife drawer for implements intended for carving the pumpkin. There are several tools you can use to carve a pumpkin after picking a smooth, symmetrical pumpkin.
- Choose a Sawzall if you want to behead the pumpkins. When beheading the pumpkin cut on an angle, not straight up and down. This is the best way to cut because it prevents the top from dropping inside the pumpkin.
- To remove the seed choose an ice-cream scoop or a large metal spoon.
- To carve the design choose a linoleum cutter. This tool is the best because it cuts details onto the surface of a pumpkin with high accuracy.
- If you decide you rather have the head on the pumpkin, it best to choose toothpicks to reattach the head you cut off.
- To create holes in the pumpkin pick a Hole Cutters by Kemper, this hole cutter supply the best hole in the pumpkin
- A Jig Saw is the best tool to select to detail the cuts on the pumpkin.
- The power drill and assorted drill bits is another tool to select to assist placing hole in the pumpkins
- To preserve the pumpkin to prevent it from rotting fast, choose a bathroom cleaner or add a teaspoon of bleach per gallon water, place in a spray bottle and spray pumpkin. Spraying the pumpkin with the cleaner or bleach water will keep the bugs and mold away and prevent from drying out. To get the best result Spray the pumpkin daily.
- To keep the pumpkin fresh as possible, the best thing to choose is petroleum jelly. Spread the petroleum jelly on every cut edge of the pumpkin to seal in the moisture. It will assist the pumpkin to last extra days.
- If you want the inside of the pumpkin to smell like a pumpkin pie, sprinkle a little cinnamon inside after you scoop out all the seeds.